All tenancies are on a 'sole and several' basis, which means that each tenant is responsible for his or her own rent payments only.

When you accepted your offer of accommodation, unless you settled your accommodation fees upfront, you would have agreed to pay these fees by instalments by Direct Debit or Recurring card Payment monthly or termly, all instalments will be collected automatically using the details you provided when you signed your contract unless stated otherwise.

The payment date for our 2020/21 academic year is the 1st of the month or the nearest working day after this date. If there were to be any changes made on our payment collection date, we would notify you at least 10 working days in advance.

All answers to our most frequently asked questions, such as how to make a payment, change your method of payment or view your instalment plan can be found here:

Rent payment FAQ

If you are experiencing financial difficulties, you should arrange to speak to someone from the Rent Payment Section as soon as you can and at least 10 working days prior your payment is due if you wish to request a postponement of an instalment. You can contact the Rent Payment Section:

Students who do not pay as expected are considered to have defaulted on their legal obligation and arrears action will be taken.

Reminders, sent to University student email account, should not be ignored. Even if you think the reminder has been sent in error, please do get in touch with us. 

Our team will at all times seek to be sympathetic to and understanding of each individual student's financial circumstances.

If you are receiving financial help from family, friends or similar please ensure they are aware of payment amounts and dates as this will not be considered a reason for delaying payment.


Fundamental to organising your finances non UK Residents should note that it may take up to three or four weeks after your arrival in the UK to open a bank account.

What you will need:

Confirmation of your UK address. You will be able to print an approved letter for the bank from your MyEd record once you have checked into your accommodation.

  • Passport, or driving licence if you are a UK Resident.
  • Visa (if applicable)
  • Unconditional letter of acceptance.

You can use your bank account to set up a Direct Debit mandate so the money due for your rent will be collected automatically. Please note you will be required to set up a recurring card payment before you arrive which can then be changed once you have a UK bank account.


Go green - travel by bus

The University is served by a comprehensive network of buses which are largely provided by Lothian buses. Please note that the use of face coverings is currently mandatory on all public transport.

See the Transport and Parking office website for more information on bus travel including the University shuttle bus service and the Traveline Scotland journey planner.

the University shuttle bus service and the Traveline Scotland journey planner.


In the interests of the environment, keep car use to a minumum. The parking spaces at our sites are extremelly limited or unavailable. Any parking is reserved for blue badge holders or exceptional circumstances. To request a parking permit, please get in touch with

To plan your route, you can use the Traveline journey planner.

Tripshare is the University's car sharing scheme.

City car club allows you to rent a car for short periods from an hour:

For more information about parking see the Transport and Parking office website.


The Chaplaincy offers support to students and staff. The main Chaplaincy Centre in Bristo Square is well used for drop in, meetings and is where the Chaplaincy staff are based.


Please review the following guide with some top tips on how you can keep your accommodation clean. 

Cleaning guide


Check your University e-mail regularly

Please note we will communicate with you a number of different ways, e-mail, telephone voice or text, and notice boards.  In line with University policy, e-mails will be sent to your University email; you must check this on a regular basis.

Your site also has a Facebook group which is monitored by your Resident Assistants and you can chat with other tenants living on your site/ house. Details of this are available in your welcome letter and via Myed, accommodation channel, student hub.

You can reach out to us via all these channels, or contact your Resident Assistant in the first instance who can help signpost to the most appropriate resource. Resident Assistant will host office hours in the evenings at the site office or another designated common space. Alternatively, some sites might host online drop-ins if a house office is not available. You will receive more information about contacting your RA at the welcome talk and on the noticeboards around your site.


We are here to help, if you have a complaint, if we cannot resolve the problem please follow the procedure outlined in the link below.


The Student Counselling Service offers counselling to assist students in working through their difficulty, understand themselves better and find ways of managing their situation.


Please familiarise yourself with your lease and the Code of Student Conduct.

All students are subject to the Code of Student Conduct. The Code sets out expectations which include behaviour on campus, in accommodation, online and off campus where the safety, interests or reputation of the University, its students and others are concerned. The Code also sets out the procedure for investigating and taking disciplinary action where there is an allegation that an individual student has breached these expectations.

Any violations or conduct issues will be dealt with under the Code and may include; misuse of fire safety equipment, breaches of health and safety including violation of COVID-19 guidance and safety measure, fire safety requirements, the use of illegal substances, and more.

Potential outcomes may include fines, other disciplinary sanctions or suspension.


Where there are secure bicycle sheds (or railings) please use them.

Cycling is a cheap and healthy way to get around. There is a network of on and off road cycle routes in Edinburgh. Plan your route around Edinburgh using the cycle streets journey planner.

Cycle maintenance - the University provides a number of facilities for cycle maintenance. For more information, including free bike doctor sessions, take a look on the Transport and Parking Office website.

Bikes are not permitted to be kept in the flat, stairwell or landing. Any damage caused to the flat, stairwell or landing by taking a bike into or out of the building will be charged to you. Any bike left in the stairwell or landing will be removed, as this constitutes a fire hazard.

You may obtain the code/key to the bike shed from the site office, where applicable, or from Pollock Halls Reception Centre. Please ensure you have a good lock for your bike, and that you remove it from the bike shed at the end of your tenancy.

Accommodation, Catering and Events is not liable for any damage caused to bikes kept in the bike shed. Please ensure you have sufficient insurance cover for your bike.

For further information on your insurance cover, please visit our insurance provider.

Note: additional cover is required for bikes.

The Edinburgh Cycle Hire Scheme operates bike hire stations across the entire city including several accommodation sites. These include Pollock Halls and Riego Street. The bikes can be easily hired with the Just Eat Cycles app.


You will be charged for damages!

Respect your accommodation and other residents. Do not damage or vandalise your flat including any of the furniture and fittings.  Any damage caused by you or your guests will be charged to you.  

Un-attributable damage in shared areas (this includes the stairwells, pantries, kitchens, common rooms and laundries) will be split between ALL the tenants in the House or flat.

We'd like you to leave your room as you found it at the end of the year. This means no holes in the wall and no Blu-Tac stains either.


The Student Disability Service offer guidance and support for disabled students.


Providing essential information for international students.


Ensure you know who to contact in an emergency.

  • Contact the University Health Centre, The Richard Verney Health Centre, or your GP (General Practitioner) if registered elsewhere. For the University Health Centre, phone: 0131 650 2777.
  • Out of hours, i.e., between 6:00pm and 8:00am on weekdays, at weekends and on public holidays, Lothian Health Service is responsible for medical care. To contact this service, phone NHS 24 on 111.
  • In case of an emergency, call an ambulance by phoning 999.
  • If you see an intruder, or anything suspicious, report it immediately to ACE Community Support Team (phone: 0131 667 1971).
  • To report a crime, contact the Police non-emergency number (101).
  • In an emergency dial 999.


One of Accommodation, Catering and Events' major business objectives is "to operate in a sustainable and environmentally effective and beneficial way".  With the introduction in 2009 of a Sustainability Policy, we're actively working to reduce our environmental impact, and making our students and staff more aware of environmental issues.  

A multitude of our accommodations have received Sustainability Awards following inovative initiatives in collaboration with our residents. Please discuss with your Resident Assistant if you want to be involved this year so that we can promote a sustainable world to everyone!

While you are not paying the electricity bill directly, you are paying for the electricity consumed as part of your rent; please take measures to keep consumption low.  This is not only environmentally friendly, but will help to limit increases in rents to meet increasing utility costs. You will receive updates on your power consumption to help you take steps to minimise your usage. You may be charged for excessive use.

  • Please use recycling facilities-more information available on the posters in your kitchen, pantry or bin store.
  • Please ensure that items that may create a fire hazard are not allowed to accumulate in kitchens/pantries.

Edinburgh University Students' Association 

Edinburgh University Students' Association. Find out what your Association can do for you. Providing a wide range of information from What's on to The Advice Place.


The main causes of fire alarm activations are:

  • Fumes from cooking
  • Toast and burnt food and grill pans
  • Smokers' Materials
  • Steam (Including showers, irons and hair straighteners)
  • Detector Interference
  • Malicious use of fire alarm systems and extinguishers
  • Disconnection of Door Closers
  • Use of candles
  • Aerosol use
  • Heaters

Candles are a fire risk and are not permitted in University managed accommodation

Any student contravening this regulation will be fined up to a maximum of £250 under the code of student conduct.

Fire alarms & Weekly tests

The weekly Fire alarm test is carried out by Accommodation, Catering and Events' staff. A different call point is tested every week. You do not have to leave your room during an alarm test, but if the alarm sounds for longer than 15-20 seconds then you must vacate the building.

All Houses are equipped with a Fire Alarm system. These have been installed for your safety and any misuse is a criminal offence. The break-glass in each House should only be used in the event of a fire. Each kitchen is equipped with a heat detector and each room with a smoke detector

Never cover smoke and heat detectors, wedge open fire doors or disconnect door closers.

There are many fire doors in your property and these are there to keep you safe. They are close fitting doors that usually have intumescent strips and seals. They are also fitted with an automatic closer. You must not tamper with the doors or do anything to stop them fully closing. This means that you must never wedge these doors open and you must never use an over-door hanger as these cause damage to the door and closer.

This is strictly against the Terms & Conditions of your tenancy and will result in a fine up to a maximum of £250.00

In the event of a fire, you should evacuate the building immediately; you must always vacate the building when you hear the fire alarm. Once outside the building please go to your fire assembly point and observe social distancing.

Please note that failure to leave the premises is a criminal offence; the Fire brigade may press charges and you will be subject to a fine up to a maximum of £250 under the code of student conduct. You may not re-enter the building until the Community Support Team/Fire Brigade has attended the scene, has ascertained that the building is safe and has given its consent for re-occupancy.

Please ensure that you read the fire alarm notice posted in your room.

Please do not use hairdryers, straighteners, aerosols, directly under the detector head in your room, as this may activate the alarm and charges could result.


Never tamper with fire-fighting equipment. It is irresponsible. Damaged or expended equipment can cost lives.

Note: any tampering with fire safety equipment is viewed seriously by the University and the Fire Brigade. It will result in disciplinary action (See section 'D' for disciplinary) being taken against you, including a fine of up to £250.00. On occasion, such activity has resulted in criminal charges being pressed against students.

However, if you use a fire blanket or extinguisher on a genuine fire, please inform the House/Site Office immediately and they will arrange to get it replaced.


Guidelines for our community during times of pandemic:


No overnight guests are permitted during the Arrivals period until the end of September. After this time, due to COVID-19, guests are only permitted if they meet Scottish Government guidance and you have your flatmates agreement.

In this event, guests are only permitted to stay for a maximum of three nights. Residents who wish for their guests to stay longer should make contact with their Warden/RLC to request permission.

Note: due to COVID-19 you must remember any guests you bring in to your accommodation whether overnight or not in the event their details are needed for Track and Trace purposes. As per the terms of your lease, you are responsible for the behaviour of any guests at all times.


Contact your Warden or RLC if you are experiencing harassment.

The University prohibits harassment of any type. This includes any threatening or offensive behaviour or language expressed orally or in writing, including electronically. We recommend that you take particular care when using social media web sites. You are strongly encouraged to review the information below.

University guidelines on Dignity and Respect 

The Advice Place


Maintaining Health and Safety is everyone's responsibility, staff and students.  To help you play your part please read our Health and Safety Guidelines for Students.


The kitchens in self-catered accommodation are equipped with kettles, fridges/freezers, cookers and microwave ovens. Tidiness in the kitchen and security of food are responsibilities shared by the residents.  Any additional appliances brought in by tenants for use in the kitchen must be fused and earthed to comply with UK electrical safety requirements.

The main cause of the loss of power in student accommodation is the circuit breakers tripping due to the use of non-compliant appliances and adaptors. This can lead to loss of power in the kitchen and so loss of food in the fridge/freezer.

Electrical safety

Any adapters used must comply with information below.

Adapt your electrical appliances for safe UK use

Additional cooking appliances (including kettles) and heaters are NOT permitted in bedrooms. Any such appliances found will be instructed to be removed by the individuals responsible.


Feeling unwell?

Upon arrival you should register with a local GP (Medical Practice).  The University has its own Health Centre, the Richard Verney Health Centre, located in the Student Centre at Bristo Square; you may wish to register there. After registering, you should complete the medical notice in your room; this will help in the event of a medical emergency. For those unable to register with the University health service you will find details of local G.P surgeries here:

If you have any special requirements linked to your health, which have not already been addressed, please contact your Warden/RLC to discuss these.

if you have any special requirements within our accommodation which may include the need of additional equipment/modifications to your room, a fridge for storing medication or assistance in the event of a fire alarm please get in touch with your Operations Manager who will be able to assist with this.

Service Contact on

Doctors and Pharmacy (University of Edinburgh, Richard Vernery Health Centre, Bristo Sqaure)

Tel: 0131 651 2777


Dentist A full list of dentists in Edinburgh can be found here
Out of Hours Medical Advice - NHS 24 (provides health advice, available when GP Practices are closed). Tel: 111


Due to COVID-19 we will be forming households as per Scottish Government guidance within our residences. Households are limited in size to ensure students can access kitchens, cleaning and washing facilities, and other shared spaces safely. 

Where your accommodation is in the form of flats with shared cooking and bathroom facilities each “cluster flat” will be considered a household.

If your accommodation is in a different format, for example longer corridors of single rooms (more traditional “residence halls”) the “household” will be determined by the areas shared by groups of students, specifically those who share a pantry /kitchen and bathrooms.

Physical distancing will not be required for members of a cluster flat (as noted above, flats with shared cooking and bathroom facilities) when within the household. Household members should follow other hygiene protocols when within the household e.g. regular hand washing. Physical distancing must however be followed where members from a cluster flat are out with their household zone, including when within the same building where other members of a cluster flat or the residence are present.

We will provide clear guidance to you on which bathrooms and/or kitchens are intended for your use to support the definition of household: this will become very important if circumstances require self-isolation.

More information on what households can and can’t do including how many other people you can meet with and under which cases you too may need to self-isolate if a member of your household is required to can be found here:

Currently you are not required to self-isolate if a member of your household is self-isolating due to travel. If however any member of your household has symptoms of COVID-19 you must all self-isolate.


As part of your tenancy agreement, you automatically receive basic contents insurance for your room. You should check the details of amounts insured:

Please note that additional cover is required for bikes and mobile phones.

If you have expensive items which exceed the stated limits, you are advised to take out further insurance to cover these. Please research which insurance provider best meets your needs.

If you are making a claim in relation to theft, you will be required to provide a crime reference number.

Information on your insurance can be found on your properties' webpage through the 'pdf download' button on the 'rooms available' tab through our accommodation search.

Accommodation search page



Please check the arrival info pages for key collection dates and locations

Always report any loss of keys / swipe cards / fobs immediately to the site/house office, or if this is closed, to the Pollock Halls Reception Centre. If you think the keys have been stolen, please contact the Police as well.

If you lose your key(s), the cost of replacements is £20.00 per set. Please do not tag your keys with an address - if a tagged key is lost the lock will have to be changed, as this has implications for your safety; the cost of doing the work will be charged to you.

Never give your key to anyone else. If you are locked out of your flat and require assistance from staff to get back into the flat, the following charges will apply:


Monday – Friday 

Time Period

Access Granted By:


09.00 – 15.00 

Local site staff


15.00 – 18.00  

Site Porter/Community Support (as available)

£5/£20 as appropriate

18.00 – 23.00

Duty Residents Assistant


After 23.00 

Community Support



Saturday & Sunday

Time Period

Access Granted By:

Charge Attached?

09.00 – 23.00

Duty Residents Assistant (by arrangement)


After 23.00

Community Support


All times when security has to attend, the cost is £20.


Please refer to your offer of accommodation for your correct postal address. Information on how to collect mail and parcels at your site will be available to you at the welcome talk and on noticeboards around the site. Please note that some of our accommodations feature Amazon lockers - please use these when scheduling your Amazon delivery to collect your parcels at your convenience.


Noise in and immediately outside of the building should be kept to a respectable level at all times. From 10pm it should be kept to a minimum; after 10pm all buildings implement quiet hours between 11pm and 8am where no noise should be made that can disturb others. If you are experiencing a problem with noise please contact your Resident Assistant or Warden from 6pm until 11pm, otherwise the Community Support team outside those hours.

We understand that, for some of our residents, part of the transition to communal living is developing an awareness of noise. Communicating with your neighbours to highlight issues and explore ways to compromise, can help respect everyone's needs. Your RA can help you have these conversations when appropriate, so do not hesitate to reach out to them for help.

Reasonable noise from people living together in large numbers is expected and some times unavoidable. We do encourage speaking to your Resident Assistants about ideas that can help make your transition to a new environment more manageable.


It is your responsibility to report repairs needed in your accommodation.

Any repairs required in your home should be reported via the Repairs Button on MyEd, the contact form (Contact Us) or directly to the site/house office.

Contact Us

Please do not rely on the Domestic Staff to report repairs for you - this is not their responsibility. Please do not assume that someone else has reported a repair; they usually haven't!

In the event of an emergency repair and the site/house office is unattended; please contact the Community Support on 0131-667-1971.

Please note that University maintenance staff and outside contractors may require access to your flat and room to carry out repairs and maintenance. If you have reported a repair, you have granted permission for access to your home. All University of Edinburgh personnel have some form of identification; please ask to see if you are in any doubt about someone requiring access to your room.

If you have not received an acknowledgment of your repair within 24 hours (Monday to Friday) of reporting it, please contact your Operations  Manager/House Office again.

Planned or routine maintenance will be notified 48hrs in advance.


Lock doors - ask for ID - report incidents

Ensure that your bedroom door is closed and locked at ALL times, even when you are in. It is also essential that you close your windows when you go out. Thefts can occur when students leave their rooms unattended and unlocked, however briefly.

Do not allow strangers to enter the building, and ensure the main door to the building is locked whenever you leave or enter the building. You will become familiar with the staff working in your accommodation, all University personnel should have either name tags or identification badges. Please do not hesitate to ask for identification from anyone who requires access to your accommodation.

In the event of your room being broken in to, please contact the Police on 101 to report the crime. Please also inform the Community Support team on 0131-667-1971 and they will arrange for any repairs required to doors or windows.

ACE employ security staff who are based at Pollock Halls 24 hrs a day. If you require assistance from the Community Support team, please contact them at any time on 0131-667-1971. You can also contact them via e-mail at The Community Support team always carry identification with them to prove who they are.

For the Community Support team to provide appropriate assistance to you please detail as much information about yourself and the situation you are reporting as possible. From the information given the Community Support staff will assess and decide whether immediate action is required or whether your email/call should be passed to an Operations Manager or the Residence Life staff for further action.


All of our accommodation is non-smoking, including the use of e-cigarettes. A fine up to a maximum of £250 will be applied under the Code of Student Conduct if any resident or their guest/s are found to be smoking in any of our accommodation.


There are heavy penalties for failing to have a Television licence. The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. If you are unsure about whether you need a TV licence for your flat TV, please ask the site Operations Manager in the first instance.

Please note that it is your responsibility to pay for the licence, and the fines for noncompliance with the law are extremely heavy. Licences and information on methods of payment are available from Post Offices.

TV licensing


Read this before making arrangements to leave your accommodation.


If you are unhappy with your accommodation for any reason, in the first instance, we ask that you reach out to your Warden or RLC to discuss this. They will be able to advise of things that can be done to improve the situation or direct you to information about transferring to different accommodation if there is a suitable vacancy available. You can also add yourself to the Accommodation Transfer list via your MyAccommodation Hub on MyEd.

Please note transfers are not normally considered within the first 6 weeks of the first semester unless there are exceptional circumstances. Any approved transfers will also be subject to an administration fee and any adjustment in rent costs.

Can I cancel early?

If you cease to be a matriculated student at the University, e.g. withdraw from University, you will be released from your accommodation contract at the end of a 28 day notice period. If you take an Interruption of Studies you may remain in our accommodation if you wish, otherwise you would have to give 28 days’ notice to have your lease terminated.

The only other time you may be permitted to leave University accommodation before the end of your contracted lease period is in exceptional circumstances such as serious medical or welfare concern, or significant change to financial circumstances where a transfer will not resolve the concern. In these cases, please get in touch with who will be able to explain more about this process and review your case.

In all other circumstances, you will be responsible for rent payments or can find a suitable replacement tenant to take your place. This must be another full-time, fully matriculated student, preferably from the University of Edinburgh, who is not currently living in University accommodation.

In line with your contract terms and conditions, if you vacate your accommodation without receiving official written permission to do so, you will be liable to pay all rents due until your accommodation is occupied by another tenant agreed by the University.

Any lease termination is only completed once approved, and once rooms have been emptied of belongings and keys returned.


Use your VOTE

It is important that you register to vote.

To check your eligibility to vote and for advice on how to register:



Guidance on what you should do if you need to self isolate, please click here: