Accommodation Managers

University flats are managed by an Accommodation Manager (AM), a full time member of staff working Monday - Friday who is not personally resident in the accommodation. In addition to dealing with all aspects of the maintenance of the accommodation, a small number of AMs are also responsible for providing pastoral care and resolving any discipline issues that may arise. Please check your welcome information for local contact details.


Wardens are members of University staff or postgraduate students who are employed to look after students' interests while they are living in University accommodation. They are appointed to a specific site and are resident within that site. Wardens have responsibility, when required, for pastoral care and for student discipline within their house. Wardens are assisted in their duties by Resident Assistants (RAs). The actual number of staff varies depending on the size of the site concerned. Any students who are experiencing difficulties should be referred in the first instance to their Warden. Wardens can be contacted via their site email address, they will also hold office hours which are times when an Resident Assistant or Warden will be available for face-to-face contact in the site office. Where there is not a resident Warden a Residence Life Coordinator (non- resident) will fullfil the Wardens role, please check your welcome information for local contact details.

Resident Assistants

In those blocks of flats which are designated for new students (primarily first years) we employ students as Resident Assistants (RAs). They must be in their second year (at least) and have experience of living in shared accommodation. RAs are resident in the property and are on duty (on a rota basis) each night and weekend during the semester. They have a vital role in organising social and sporting events for residents. If a student feels lonely or that they are becoming isolated, the RA will visit and try to introduce them to others or encourage them to attend social functions. If the RA feels there is a deeper problem, the matter will be referred to the AM, Warden or Residence Life Coordinator as appropriate.

Out of hours assistance

The RAs have office hours on a regular basis to answer student queries and resolve issues that arise out of normal business hours. Upon arrival at your site please refer to the information provided regarding site specific office hours. Each night and weekend there is an RA on duty, you will receive information on how to contact them on arrival or you can contact them via the Reception Centre at Pollock Halls.

In the event of an emergency, an Accommodation Manager, Warden or Residence Life Coordinator (as appropriate) can be contacted outside normal working hours by contacting the Reception Centre at Pollock Halls, dial 0131 667 1971 or 0 from the phone in your room. This call out service is only intended for emergencies only - matters which cannot wait to be resolved until normal office opening hours.