Wherever there is a degree of shared living, noise problems can occur. No matter how good the level of soundproofing within the property, we rely on a degree of co-operation from our tenants to ensure a peaceful living environment for all. To assist you in achieving this, there are some basic guidelines that we would ask you to observe in your daily life.


Noise levels which negatively affect study, sleep or other activities will not be tolerated, no matter what the time of day. It is the responsibility of all residents to be considerate of neighbours so that an environment conducive to academic success and personal happiness is maintained.

Top three complaints

1. Music: Use of electric guitars, drums etc. is not advisable within University accommodation. Music practice rooms are available within the University. Keep stereo equipment to acceptable limits. If you are listening to music late at night, please use headphones. You can help reduce noise pollution by closing windows.

2. Noise in the stair: You should be aware of the noise you make entering and leaving the building especially late at night. You are also responsible for the conduct of your guests. Shouting and banging of doors can cause considerable upset to neighbours.

3. Doors banging within the flat: Noise travels, and if you have a habit of banging doors within your flat the noise will reach your neighbour. Please close doors quietly, especially at night, and if your door closer is faulty, report it for repair.

Noise problems...what you should do

1. If you feel able to approach your neighbours and explain the problem, this is the best first step. If possible, let them hear the noise in your flat so that they can understand the problem. It is surprising how often people are simply unaware of the noise that they are making and once they realise how disruptive this is they are happy to co-operate to eliminate the problem. If you feel unable to approach your neighbours directly you should contact a member of staff who can intervene on your behalf.

2. If the noise is excessive and requires immediate attention, then phone the Police and also report the incident to staff the next day. Students resident in Pollock Halls should contact the on-site Security staff.

3. If the noise problem persists, it will be necessary for you to liaise closely with staff. You must report all instances of noise pollution, to allow us to build a case for the ultimate sanction, eviction. This can be a slow process, and we are rarely able to produce a speedy solution if neighbours will not co-operate.

What will Accommodation, Catering and Events do?

1. On receipt of a noise complaint, we will contact the tenants concerned and ask them to come and speak to the appropriate manager / warden. It may be that by simply explaining the problem we can reach a solution.

2. If further complaints are received, we will speak to those concerned again and explain that further action will be taken: for example, the Police may be called. They have the authority to remove equipment if there is persistent excessive noise. It is at this stage that we would also carry out a sound test. This involves two members of staff and all neighbours concerned. The aim is to allow tenants the opportunity to experience for themselves the noise levels in each other's properties and agree mutually acceptable noise limits. This has been a very useful tool in resolving noise complaints in the past. If this action is unsuccessful and complaints persist it will be necessary to move towards the formal eviction process.

3. If the noise is from an outside source, e.g. a bar, we will contact Environmental Health. They have powers to deal with noise that we do not have.

4. Should the source of the problem be uncooperative and the process is taking a long time to resolve, we will if possible offer you alternative accommodation; this would allow you to study in peace while we reach a resolution.

It should be noted that noise problems can be difficult to resolve. Tolerance to noise varies from person to person and this, combined with differing lifestyles within a locality, can lead to difficulties. Accommodation, Catering and Events will work towards a resolution to suit all parties if possible; however, there are no quick answers unless everyone involved is prepared to compromise and show the necessary mutual respect for their neighbours.

If you are unhappy with the action taken by Accommodation, Catering and Events, please note that the University has a complaints procedure.

Details of this can be found below:

Comments? Problems? Complaints? We're here to help