Accommodation, Catering and Events has identified sustainable development that 'meets the needs of current customers and staff without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Sustainability is a process that helps us ensure we use resources wisely and in a way that takes into account associated environmental, social and economic effects. Accommodation, Catering and Events is committed to placing sustainability at the heart of our mission...
- making sustainability integral to the delivery of facilities and services to all our customers
- taking positive actions to promote continual environmental improvement
- setting and achieving clearly defined sustainable development objectives and targets.
Accommodation, Catering and Events believe that this work should also recognise the University of Edinburgh’s SRS Strategy 2010-20 and so build on that policy.
1. Make sustainability a corporate priority
- Encourage students, staff and, where possible, commercial customers to incorporate informed sustainability perspectives within their day to day activities
- Develop the capacity of staff to help promote understanding of the principles of sustainability
2. Develop and deliver appropriate education
- Expose students where possible through the Residence Life support teams to concepts of social, ecological and ethical stewardship
- Provide staff with knowledge and skills so as to be able to assist in delivering the above
3. Take a leadership role in sustainability
- Set best practice standards, meet or surpass the requirements of environmental legislation and commit to a process of continual environmental improvement
- Promote awareness of all legislative, economic, technical and market developments that assist progress towards sustainability
- Establish an Advisory Group to oversee implementation of this policy and associated programmes
4. Contribute to stable community building
- Build partnerships and create local information and learning networks for sharing experiences and knowledge of sustainability issues with all stakeholders
- Operate in ways that maximise social and economic benefit while minimising any adverse impacts on the local community
- Invest in staff development, value stakeholder involvement and promote social inclusion and equity
5. Maintain and develop Accommodation, Catering and Events in a sustainable manner
- Promote continual improvement in maintenance practices and establish sustainability guidelines for internal and external design teams and contractors working on new build and refurbishment projects
- Maximise the efficient use of energy and materials, continually improve pollution prevention measures and increase the use of renewable resources
- Minimise waste generation and encourage repair, reuse and recycling ahead of the responsible disposal of surplus materials
- Promote practical measures to reduce the impact of travel to and between University sites
6. Monitor and report on progress towards sustainability
- Manage responsibly the social, environmental and economic impacts of all Accommodation, Catering and Events policies and practices and assess potential improvements in decision-making processes
- Conduct reviews of all Accommodation, Catering and Events policies, management performance standards and operations against internal sustainability targets and best practice standards