The University of Edinburgh guarantees to provide an offer of accommodation to all new single postgraduate students who meet the criteria below. However, we cannot guarantee to provide everyone with precisely the type of accommodation they would prefer. We do our best and find almost all students enjoy living in the accommodation they are offered but, whatever preferences you select, you should note these are preferences and not choices.
Assuming they comply with the rules below, we guarantee an offer of accommodation to:
- All new, single postgraduate research (PhD) students…whether from within the UK, the EU or International
- New, single postgraduate taught students from outside the EU only.
In such cases, the guarantee applies as long as:
- Your accommodation application is received by 31 July
- You have accepted by 31 July an unconditional firm offer to study at the University
- You will be studying in Edinburgh for the whole of the academic year starting in September.
For postgraduate taught students from within the EU, including the UK, we are currently unable to guarantee an offer of University accommodation; however, we fully expect to have over 200 rooms available for UK and EU students, so an early application is well worth while.
Offers of accommodation will normally be made from May; if you are unsuccessful, you will still be offered advice on obtaining alternative accommodation in Edinburgh.